Updated January 2023
Happy New Year!
Potential members and visitors are welcome on Monday evenings 7-9pm at our premises in Muspole Street, Norwich NR3 1DJ. We have limited access for wheelchairs but we will do our best to accommodate any needs. Please email email@example.com in advance if you want to visit.
Click the title for more news about our activities in 2022
on Jan 24, 2023
Covid update for Norwich Hackspace on 3 January 2022
on Jan 03, 2022
For background please take a look at the first Speedo post.
So I was all smug after the first post that I had finally found a rock solid solution to the speedo gauge mechanism. However during testing a problem came up and that was with the zero com...
on Sep 05, 2017
This week (I may have forgotten last week's post!) the hackspace was a little quiet but still lots going on, including:
- Birthday cakes for Tim and Ben (Tim's cake was rather excellently cooked by Nicholas)
- Archie, Dan, Ann and Barny tried some SMD soldering, and also tried to convert a toaster oven to do reflow with not much success and a lot of melted components
- Ben showed off his awesome 3DPburner DIY laser engraver
- More testing and development work was done on the ESP8266/Accelerometer project (and a prototype PCB was designed and ordered)
- Lots of chatting on how best to measure laser cutt...
Good mix of activities on Monday this week.
Neil was in the workshop creating plenty of wood chips on the lathe. James brought in an xBox One Kinect Camera (v2) which was used for 3d scanning and skeleton tracking via the windows SDK. Now the plug packs have come down in cost there seems to be plenty of hacking potential here - A definite upgrade on the 360 Kinects we have been using.
Tim 3D printed a couple of designs his son had put together in Blender and the laser cutter got some use as well: Alan laser cut a spool holder he designed for his 3D printer. We started a 'members' projects' wh...
This week at hackspace is much quieter compared to last week. On Monday….
- Toby and I worked on the Shapeoko CNC project which has stalled slightly. Got it moving and cutting but still need to tweak the config.
- James M, Alan S, Philip and others continued work on the new workbench
- Philip was playing with analogue sensors and arduino
- Tim and Nicholas were working with Blender, making model planes
- Marion was test-lasercutting signage for our landlords
- Dan, James M and others tried 3D scanning using an XBox Kinect camera
- Everyone played with Dan’s seriously cool robotic arm, and many AA batterie...
Norwich Young Makers Club is running open access drop-in sessions for 8-18 year olds and their parents to help them to get familiar with tech projects and coding. Sessions run every fortnight on Saturday afternoons 2-4pm
on Jan 24, 2017
Can you laser engrave a Macbook without frying it?
on Oct 11, 2016
After a long wait we finally took deliver of a fine Greyfin A2 laser cutter. LASER all the things!
on Aug 15, 2016
The Men's shed has provided us with a home for nearly a year now. While they have been gracious hosts we have always planned to have our own space. We currently have access to Men's shed for 4 hours a week and with the new space we will be able to open everyday.
The developers Architekton have a £100 millon development project in process which will convert several large buildings into housing, shops and resturants. Read more in this EDP article: http://www.edp24.co.uk/property/revealed_100m_vision_for_former_norwich_shoe_factory_1_4599324
As planning can take a very long time Archi...
on Aug 01, 2016